12 August 2001 v Oundle Rovers – Cricketer Cup Final


Played at the Bank of England Ground Roehampton 12 August 2001


A little before 8 pm, amidst the encircling gloom, Peter Morgan heaved the third ball of the final over through mid wicket, thus ending nine years of unsuccessful Cricketer Cup campaigns by the Ramblers.

Persistent morning rain had led to a delayed start and a match reduced to 50 overs a side. Rory MacLeay called correctly and sentenced his bowlers to the use of a wet ball, compensated by the advantage that in the event of further interruptions his batsmen would know precisely what they had to do should the final be decided by a 20 over slog.

Tom Harrison, the Oundle Rovers captain tore into the Eton attack with a flurry of boundaries as the Bruce brothers found the new ball hard to control. His opening partner, Martyn Dobson, provided him with sound support but in the eleventh over, with the score at 55, he was caught at slip by Alex Loudon. Chris St George replaced James Bruce and induced further edges to account for Matt Mountain (Loudon again) and Jeremy Pilch (Wicket keeper Ollie Lane). Their dismissals, and a 20 minute interruption for rain, slowed the scoring rate, and lunch was taken with the Rovers score at 107 for 3 after 24 overs.

In the second over following the resumption the course of the game was changed by Harry Chetwood who had replaced St George at the Priory End. His third ball deceived and bowled Harrison. Four overs later David Lowe chipped Chetwood to Rory MacLeay at mid wicket. Stephen Lowe and James Samworth added 29 before St George bowled Lowe, and then James Bruce had Samworth lbw. Veteran Rovers Peter Elliott and Tim Elliott added 33 entertaining runs before Elliott was run out off the last ball of the innings.

The Rambler response did not start well. Hugo Loudon played on to Michael Dobson in the first over and when MacLeay was caught behind the Ramblers were 11 for 2. Charlie Lightfoot and Alex Loudon then added 63 in some comfort before Lightfoot was run out. St George and Loudon then turned the match, adding 72 runs in good time before Loudon was stumped off a wide.

With the light fading Peter Morgan, once described as the batsman one would want to be the man to bat in pitch darkness to save your life, played himself in, until St George was bowled. Michael Brooks joined Morgan, and ran well, crucially only facing five balls himself, and ensuring that Morgan was on strike for the last over. Three legendary Morgan mows, each better struck that the one before, saw Eton home with three balls and four wickets to spare.